Certified Hospitality Digital Marketer (CHDM)
Be job ready
Affordable from US$360*
12 Months Access
Benefits of the CHDM designation
This is the certification for hospitality sales, marketing, and revenue management professionals who want to:
- demonstrate their proficiency globally
- expand their current role or move into a digital role
- upskill and become more proficient
- better understand how digital marketing intersects with and impacts their areas of responsibility
Today’s CHDMs carry many titles including:
- Director of eCommerce
- Director of Sales & Marketing
- Director of Revenue Management
- Corporate & regional hotel marketer
- Agency employees who want to upskill on the digital field in hospitality
- General Manager
- Asset Manager
4 Reasons why you should get certified now!
SPECIAL OFFER on pricing from 1st July to 31st October, 2020
(Select the Pricing tab to view)
This course was created by the HSMAI Digital Marketing Council. The leaders in hotels around the globe have worked together to create a curriculum for people looking to grow their careers in Digital Marketing.
Check the “Authors” tab in the “Get Started” section below or refer to this PDF list of people involved in developing this edition.
- HSMAI Members US$450
- Non-members US$625
From 1st July, 2020 to 31st October, 2020, HSMAI are offering a discount on Certifications to assist the industry.
- The CHDM Study Guide Hospitality Digital Marketing Essentials: A Field Guide for Navigating Today’s Digital Landscape (see the study guide table of contents for an overview)
- 1-year to complete the exam
- Certification Syllabus
- Globally recognised certification
- The right to use the designation CHDM designation after your name.
How to get Certified
Download and complete the application form including your work experience
Once your application is accepted by HSMAI, then you'll need to pay the fee for Certification
Once your application has been approved and payment is received, you will receive a digital copy of the study guide
When you feel ready to take the exam, you may take the exam online at any time, 24/7
Get Your Certification
Once you pass the exam, you will recieve your certification and will be entitled to use the CHDM letters after your name
To apply for the CHDM designation you must complete the CHDM application form through HSMAI to demonstrate your eligibility. Directions for where to send the application and payment are in the form. Eligibility is determined by four main areas. To qualify, you must have a minimum of 50 points:
Download the application form to apply.
This is any media that is directly controlled by you. The most obvious is your website but can also include social sites, database/email marketing, blogs, and so on.
- The Hotel Website
- Content & Merchandising
- Mobile Websites & Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for hotels
- Rich Media
- Voice Search & Chatbots
- Email Marketing
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Loyalty & Recognition
- Digital for Pre-stay, On-site and Post-stay
It is called “earned” media because it often requires effort and know-how to get it; you can’t buy it — you must earn it. In a traditional sense it might be PR or word of mouth advertising but in the digital world this becomes mentions in blogs, posts, websites, review sites, and so on. While it takes effort (and sometimes cost) to garner earned media, it is often among the most powerful because it is deemed by consumers as “unbiased” information.
- Social Media
- Public Relations
- Reviews & Reputation Management
This includes any media that requires that you pay the “publisher” for that media unit. This includes paid search, display advertising, social media advertising (including “boosting posts”), subscription services (e.g., Trip Advisor Business Listing), and the myriad of other paid advertising vehicles.
- Paid Search
- Programmatic Display Media
- Affiliate Marketing
- Social Media & Native
- OTA Paid Media
- Online Travel Agents
- Group Intermediaries
- Location based marketing
- Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality & 360 views
- Artificial Intelligence
- Website Analytics
- Analytics & Attribution modelling
- Vendor Management
Payment should only be made after you have been approved by HSMAI.
Payment can be made by Credit Card in US Dollars. Please check the instructions on the application form.
For groups of 5 or more, an invoice can be issued for payment by bank transfer if requested.
For groups of 10 or more, bulk discounts can be provided. Please Contact us.
Questions about any of our certifications can be directed to:
Kathleen G. Tindell, Program Director
P: +1 703-506-2010
Certifications expire on December 31, two years from the year a person originally certified (e.g., if you certified in 2017, regardless of which month of the year, your certification is due for renewal by December 31, 2019).
To be recertified, no exam is required; however, CHDMs must participate in a minimum of 20 hours of digital marketing training. Training can include, but is not limited to, conferences, webinars and e-learning, college or graduate level courses, etc. All training points claimed must have been earned since the date of initial CHDM certification or last renewal. Therefore it is important that you keep track of all your education and training activities each year even after receiving the CHDM.
Annual recertification notices are sent as a courtesy in the first quarter of the year in which the individual is due for renewal and additional reminders are sent throughout the year. With that notice, CHDMs receive information regarding the recertification process and instructions to access the recertification application form and guidelines.
The completed application and recertification fee is due October 15. A late fee will be applied to applications received between October 16 and December 31. It is the CHDM’s responsibility to make a note of their recertification date, which is provided on the CHDM certificate mailed after successful completion of the examination. Adhering to all deadlines is the responsibility of the CHDM.
HSMAI DIGITAL MARKETING COUNCIL – THE AMERICAS
- Holly Zoba, CHDM, VP, Signature (chair)
- Dustin Bomar, Head of Industry, Travel, Google
- Aimee Cheek, CHDM, Director of eCommerce, OTO Development
- Bill Clarke, Director of Sales-Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, Milestone, Inc.
- Robert Cole, Founder-CEO, RockCheetah
- Chris Copp, VP, Global Digital Marketing, IHG
- Jessica Davidson, Vice President, Digital Content + Creative, Wyndham Hotel Group
- Erica Eyring, CHDM, Director, Account Management, Expedia Media Solutions
- Isaac Gerstenzang, CHDM, Assistant Vice President, Corporate E-commerce, Two Roads Hospitality
- James Hansen, CHA, CHDM, Director, Marketing, Best Western Hotels & Resorts
- Carolyn Hosna, CHDM, Sr. Corp. Director, Marketing & Distribution, White Lodging
- Jay Hubbs, III, CHDM, Senior Vice President, eCommerce, Remington Hotels
- Michael Innocentin, Vice President, E-Commerce & Digital NCA Region, AccorHotels
- John Jimenez, CHDM, Director of E-commerce, Interstate Hotels & Resorts
- Dev Koushik, Vice President, Global Revenue Optimization, IHG
- Sarita Mallinger, Regional Director, Digital Marketing, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants
- Delana Meyer, CHDM, Vice President Digital Strategy, Crescent Hotels & Resorts
- Amy Mierzwinski, CHDM, Director, Horwath HTL
- Anna Paccone, CHDM, eCommerce Director, Second Wave Marketing / Aimbridge Hospitality
- Shawn Paley, CHDM, Director, Global eCommerce & Digital Services, Marriott International
- Olga Peddie, SVP, Client Strategy & Success, Cendyn
- Donna Quadri-Felitti, CHDM, Director and Associate Professor, Penn State University
- Mariana Safer, CHDM, SVP, Global Marketing, HEBS Digital
- Dave Spector, Partner, Tambourine
- Dan Wacksman, CHDM, SVP, Marketing and Distribution, Outrigger Hotels & Resorts
- Hunter Webster, CHDM, SVP, Digital Marketing, Interstate Hotels & Resorts
- Misty Wise, CRME, CHDM, Director, Digital Strategies,
- John Q Hammons Hotels
HSMAI EUROPE DIGITAL MARKETING ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS
- Niklas Schlappkohl, Global Senior Director, Digital Travel Solutions, Translations.com (chair)
- Paul Mulcahy, SVP Commercial, Member of Mövenpick Hotels and Resorts Executive Committee, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts (vice chair)
- Suzie Thompson, Vice President of Marketing, Distribution & Revenue Management, Red Carnation Hotels
- RJ Friedlander, Founder and CEO, ReviewPro
- Riko van Santen , Vice President Digital Strategy, Loyalty & Distribution, Kempinski Hotels
- Frank Reeves, CEO and Co-founder, Avvio
- Stephen Williams, Sales and Marketing Director, Windward Management
- Adrian Hands, Senior Director Key Accounts EMEA, TripAdvisor
- Roman Sucharzewski, Director Hotel Distribution & Marketing – Europe, Diamond Resorts International
Reviews for HSMAI Digital Marketing Certification
“Having taken the CHDM certification myself and then being part of a team of industry experts to help update the 2018 Certification, it has become clear to me that that knowledge and understanding of the key topics covered in the certification will benefit everyone; from digital marketers to GM’s and everyone in between as it gives a broad overview of what is required to be a successful for a hotel (or hotelier) in the digital age.”
“When I review resumes for openings or am interviewing candidates with similar backgrounds, I feel more confident in choosing applicants with their CHDM certification. I feel like they have taken the time to understand the fundamentals of the industry and how it applies to our hotels, and thus will hit the ground running with a leg up on other candidates.”
“When we consider the convergence of multiple disciplines within our industry, revenue management and eCommerce are increasingly finding areas of overlap within the complexity of digital echo system. It is for this reason that revenue managers with CHDM’s become an integral part of an organization due to their ability to improve the discourse as it relates to the digital conversation.”